Parent and Infant Relationship Service (PAIRS) is a programme designed to help parents to support their baby/child and develop a positive relationship. A good parent and baby relationship is key to a baby/child’s development and wellbeing and PAIRS offers support with any struggles or negative feelings or worries and concerns parents may be having towards their baby/child.
PAIRS is run with trained professionals who are experienced in working with parents, children and families.
What is PAIRS?
Becoming a parent can be both a wonderful and challenging experience. Our PAIRS programme supports you to help your baby/child get the best start to your relationship.
It’s normal to experience struggles with parenting in the early years – many parents feel like this – and PAIRS is designed to give families a bit more support at this time. Have you ever had questions or feelings about your relationship with your baby/child and would like to be supported in a non-judgemental environment by early care experts and professionals? It is very common to get some negative feelings and support as a parent towards your baby/child.
A lot of parents have asked questions or had thoughts such as:
- I want to support my relationship with my baby.
- I don’t really feel connected to my baby.
- My child is clingy and hard to comfort.
- I am feeling tearful and down. I have just given birth: surely this should be a time of happiness?
- I struggle with my baby’s feeding habits.
- I had a tough time with my parents. Parenting has brought back difficult memories of my own childhood.
- I am not getting on with my partner at the moment and I worry it’s affecting my baby.
- I had a difficult birth. It affects how I feel about my baby.
- My worries about my child interfere with my parenting.
- I struggle with my child’s toilet training, sleep, tantrums and/or difficult behaviour.
How PAIRS works
During the sessions, a PAIRS professional will talk and think together with you about your needs and those of your baby. They will involve your baby through play and explore your hopes and concerns about your relationship.
All conversations are confidential: the PAIRS team will not normally contact anyone unless they have discussed it with you first. However, as PAIRS professionals have a duty to keep children safe, they may need to talk to other professionals if they have concerns about you or your child’s safety and would normally do this with your knowledge.
Pairs will help you to:
- Strengthen your relationship with your baby.
- Understand yourself and your baby better.
- Support your child’s development and wellbeing.
- Manage the stress of being a parent.
- Enjoy your relationship with your child.
Who is PAIRS for?
The service is for expectant parents, parents with babies, and families with children up until their fourth birthday who live in the LEAP wards of Tulse Hill, Stockwell, Coldharbour and Vassall.
How to book an appointment
You can book an appointment by speaking to your health visitor, midwife, GP or local children’s centre. Alternatively you can contact PAIRS directly to speak to a member of the team, who will talk through your concerns and discuss if PAIRS is the right service for you at this time.
If the service is appropriate for you, a PAIRS professional will arrange to meet you at a convenient location. This could be at your local GP practice, children’s centre or in your home. Appointments normally last up to one hour. The number and spacing of our sessions may vary: they are normally weekly but will depend on your needs as a family.
If you would like to hear more about our service and you live in one of the LEAP areas of Tulse Hill, Stockwell, Coldharbour or Vassall do not hesitate to contact us.
Parent and Infant Relationship Team (PAIRS)
Tel: 020 3228 6771
c/o Lambeth CAMHS
9th Floor International House
Brixton SW9 7QE