What is Together Time?
Building a bond between you and your baby or toddler is vital to their development. Like all relationships this requires work and time. Together Time encourages positive interaction between parents and their babies or toddlers in a group environment.
The group is a safe space for parents to enjoy being with their babies or toddlers, to explore and understand their relationship and to share feelings and experiences with other parents. Each group lasts for six sessions. Each session lasts for one hour and 30 minutes and involves six to eight other parents and their baby or toddler of similar age.
Watch, wait and wonder
Together Time uses a technique called ‘Watch, Wait and Wonder’ to help support you and your baby. It is designed to:
• Help you strengthen your relationship with your baby or toddler.
• Support you to be with and observe your baby or toddler in the “here and now”.
• Explore your child or toddler’s thoughts, feelings and behaviour in a mindful way.
• An opportunity to discuss your experience of your child’s play and interaction.
What happens when you attend together time?
Each group lasts for six sessions. Each session lasts for one hour and 30 minutes. Each group involves six to eight other parents and their baby or toddler of similar age.
• A relaxed and comfortable environment.
• An opportunity to meet other parents with babies or toddlers and discuss your experiences of parenting.
• A chance to learn a technique to help you observe and understand your baby or toddler better.
• Support from child care workers with training in parent-toddler relationships.
• Singing, toys and activities for your baby or toddler.
• Drinks and snacks.
How you get involved
You can obtain more information about the course and book on through your local children’s centre.
One of our Together Time group facilitators will contact you to discuss the course and arrange a time to meet with you and your baby or toddler. We will talk about your experience of pregnancy, birth and parenting and discuss together if Together Time would be beneficial to you.
Once you have had your initial meeting and would like to attend, we will then invite you to our Together Time group, where you will meet the other parents with children of similar age who have signed up to the course.
After the session you can expect
A follow up phone call after the group to check-in with you and your baby. This will also be an opportunity to discuss any changes as a result of your attendance on the course. We may also think with you about other courses and support available for you and your child.
You can find out more by emailing: PAIRS_Lambeth@slam.nhs.uk
When is it?
We aim to run two groups per term in the LEAP area. Our groups are advertised through the children’s centre programme.