LEAP has an ambitious ten year programme aimed at improving the lives of children through radically changing the way that we work with pregnant mothers, fathers, babies, their families and communities.
The LEAP communities of Stockwell, Coldharbour, Vassall and Tulse Hill are some of the most diverse in the country. Our vision is for Lambeth to be the best place in the world for children to be born and grow up and we will accept no less than for all of our children to be healthy, happy, confident, safe and able to achieve their aspirations.
To achieve this we have built a strong partnership and believe that through consensus we have developed a strategy for real, ground-breaking change.
LEAP's strategy is based on the following principles:
- That the three Better Start outcomes – social and emotional development, communication and language and diet and nutrition – are at the core of our programme.
- Parents are the most important influence upon, and primary educators of, children.
- Fathers will be enabled and supported to play a positive and significant role in their child’s life.
- Couples will be supported to reduce conflict and enable them to parent collaboratively even when estranged or experiencing high levels of stress.
- Services will support parents to achieve the best outcomes for their children.
- Transitions between services and agencies will be supported by effective multi-agency working and protocols.
- Children at risk of abuse and neglect will be identified earlier and offered appropriate support and intervention.
As a borough we have demonstrated success in delivering change at all levels, from leading the way in partnership working to delivering large transformational programmes.
We have successfully tackled complex issues using a public health approach such as high teenage pregnancy rates and low numbers of women breastfeeding. We will now apply our learning to successfully deliver our LEAP strategy.
Read our full strategy document here [1140KB].